Recipe Redo (Guilt-Free!): Richard Gere’s Cinnamon Rolls
Courtesy Hungry Girl
Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating.
She is also the author of eight Hungry Girl cookbooks, five of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
You might know him as an officer and a gentleman, but how about as the co-owner of a bed and breakfast in New York? And the word on the street is that the must-have treats at Richard Gere‘s Bedford Post Inn are the famous Cinnamon Rolls
I like that RG’s recipe takes a time-saving shortcut by calling for pre-made biscuit dough, but I’m going to save you time and fat grams. The trick: I use Pillsbury’s Reduced-Fat Crescent rolls, so it’s better for you than regular pastry dough.
Factor in my special cinnamon-sugar filling, and you’ve got a smart little pastry you can feel good about eating first thing in the morning. Or late at night. Or both!
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!
HG’s Slimmed-Down Cinnamon Rolls
¼ cup brown sugar (not packed)
¼ cup granulated white sugar
1½ tsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread, room temperature
1½ tsp. cinnamon
⅛ tsp. salt
1 package refrigerated reduced-fat crescent dough (seamless sheet)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, white sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt until uniform.
3. Unroll dough on a dry surface and roll or stretch into a large rectangle of even thickness.
4. Evenly distribute filling onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Tightly roll up dough into a log, pinching the long seam to seal.
5. Turn log so the seam side is down. Cut widthwise into 8 equally sized rolls and lay rolls on the baking sheet, swirl sides up.
6. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. (Don’t worry if the filling oozes out a bit!)
In 1 cinnamon roll: 135 calories, 4g fat, 270mg sodium, 23g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 13g sugars, 1.5g protein