Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe: Emily’s Favorite
Emily’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 3 trays
110g (about 1¼ cups) steel-cut oats
80g (about 1 cup) flax
50g (⅔ cup) flour
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
130g (about ¾ cup) light brown sugar
40g (about 3 tbsp.) granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
3 (generous) tbsp. vanilla extract (or a splash of bourbon)
99g (about 1 cup plus 2 tbsp.) quick-cooking oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
350g (1¾ cups) semisweet chocolate chips (half shaved, half in chunks)
Chopped walnuts, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly grease with non-stick vegetable spray.
2. Using a spice grinder, grind the steel-cut oats until they achieve a flour-like consistency. Repeat with the flaxseeds, then mix both ground oats and ground flaxseeds with the flour.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla, beating well to incorporate.
4. In a large bowl, combine the flour mixture with the quick-cooking oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix until fully combined.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Dollop dough onto cookie sheets and bake for 6 minutes. Turn cookie sheet around and cook until golden, about 6-8 additional minutes.
6. Let cookies cool on the tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.