Master This Move: Superhero Squats
As a former U.S. Marine, Erin Oprea is dedicated to fitness. Now a Nashville-based personal trainer with clients like Carrie Underwood, she uses her expertise to help those with busy lives stay fit. Visit her site Oprea Personal Fitness or follow her on Twitter @OpreaFitness. Then come back to PEOPLE.com every Monday to master a new workout move.
All right everyone, you know that Halloween is coming and those costumes keep getting shorter and tighter.
You’ve been working hard and this burning leg workout is just the thing you need to help you feel great for your Halloween event.
Courtesy Erin Oprea
Recently I wore a skin tight Batgirl outfit and used this exercise to get my best superhero legs!
1. Start in a sumo squat position, legs wide and toes pointed at an angle.
2. Rotate your hips back, making sure your knees do not go forward, and go down into the squat until your legs are parallel to the ground. Hold in this low position for the remainder of the exercise. These legs are going to burn and shake, but go to a happy place and push through it!
3. Now, staying low, do 15–20 calf raises on your right leg, then 15–20 more on your left leg.
4. Both calves now raise for the last 15–20 repetitions. Get as high as you can on your tippy-toes for each and every raise.
5. Repeat this series 2-4 times for building-jumping, wall-scaling, pavement-busting superhero legs! (Or maybe just for that ultra-fitted witch costume.)