How to Throw the Best Shondaland Viewing Party EVER
Whether you’re getting a group together for three hours of Shondaland goodness on a Thursday night or organizing a weekend binge fest, you should celebrate properly.
That’s right: Watching any of Shonda Rhimes‘ acclaimed TV shows — whether Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder or Scandal — is a celebration, even if you’re wearing sweatpants and curled up in bed.
But why not heighten the experience with a few essential touches?
Get a group of Shonda devotees together, then gather the following items to get the party started:
1. Red wine. Lots of red wine. So much red wine.
We may never have the savvy or sex appeal or negotiating skills or monologue skills of Olivia Pope, but we can drink red wine. We can drink a lot of it.
(Red wine cocktails are also permitted.)
2. Popcorn is essential, too, if you want to go Full Pope.
Olivia loves popcorn. We can raise a kernel to that. (And we’ll season said kernel with Vermont cheddar, in honor of the place where Fitz and Olivia will one day start a life.)
3. Have vodka available for the slightly more intense guests.
If you, like Professor Annalise Keating, don’t like to mess around, just go straight vodka.
4. Order in Chinese food, because high-powered people don’t have time for “cooking.”
Seriously. Who has time to cook meals when they’re solving murders and/or delivering babies and/or having affairs with high-powered politicians?
5. Give each guest a pillow.
To throw at the screen whenever a secondary character does something stupid that you know will get them killed.
6. Give each guest a mini, personalized fan.
To cool them down whenever Jake Ballard, né Scott Foley, is on the screen. (Or whenever Martin Henderson or Jesse Williams grace Grey’s.)
7. For a late-night, post-viewing snack, take the crew to McDonald’s, where you can eat some McNuggets in memory of McDreamy. RIP.
—Maria Yagoda, @mariayagoda
Want all your Shondaland needs handled? Click here to get all the latest updates from Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy and How to Get Away with Murder sent straight to you. Seriously!