With Four Crazy Nights Left, Here’s How to Throw a Banging Chrismukkah Party
Even though we’re already a few days into Hanukkah, there’s still plenty of time to throw a beautiful Chrismukkah bash.
If you didn’t watch The O.C. (how though?), let us recap: Chrismukkah is a holiday created by hot nerd Seth Cohen (played by the ever-hunky Adam Brody) that blends Christmas and Hanukkah traditions, making it the perfect celebration for families and friend groups whose religious beliefs are all over the place.
Follow these tips for a very successful Chrismukkah gathering, hopefully one that doesn’t involve shocking paternity reveals or drunken meltdowns.
1. Put on any one of the six marvelous O.C. soundtracks for sick tunes.
It’s not a Cohen party without some deadbeat indie music. We’re partial to the stylings of The O.C.: Mix 3 – Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah.
2. Have no less than 20 handles of vodka on hand.
Chances are you have a Marissa Cooper-type friend. Make sure to have vodka readily available so she doesn’t have to go sneaking around.
3. Only let people who are wearing a Christmas or Hanukkah sweater into the party. This is non-negotiable.
4. Make sure to have equal parts Christmas and Hanukkah decorations around the house.
"Do you want your menorah or candy cane? Hm? Hanukkah or Christmas?… Don’t worry about it, buddy. Because in this house you don’t have to choose. Allow me to introduce you to a little something that I like to call Chrismukkah." 🎉 Ready to host Chrismukkah brunch tomorrow! 🍾 #christmas #hannukah #chrismukkah #sethcohen #preppy #homedecor #home #target #crateandbarrel #lillypulitzer
5. Set up a photo booth in front of the fireplace.
Get really into it. Hang stockings. Light a fire! What matters is that you’re with the people you love…and that the lighting is such that your cheekbones will actually show up in the pic.
6. Make your own Santa-hat yamakas (YAMACLAUS) and give them out as party favors.
Sacrilegious? Maybe. Adorable? Completely. Simply glue a white cotton ball to the top and line the perimeter with cotton.
7. Keep it classy with nice alcohol and snacks that were never even once frozen.
Splurge on good cheese, crackers and olives. Even go ahead and buy the third-cheapest wine at the store. Chrismukkah only comes once a year.
8. Remember: Chrismukkah is “unruinable.” Have fun with it.
Merry Chrismukkah, y’all. Whether you’re from Chino or Orange County or somewhere in between, we hope your holidays are joyous … and that you get to kiss someone who resembles (however remotely) Seth Cohen under the mistletoe.
– Maria Yagoda, @mariayagoda