Here’s Why You Should Eat Funfetti Cake for Breakfast (as If You Need an Excuse)
Spring has arrived and it’s time to start eating lighter. Beginning with fluffy pancakes. OK, maybe they’re not exactly diet food, but when made with strawberries and colorful sprinkles, they’re a sweet way to celebrate the new season and add brightness to breakfast or brunch.
We’ve given classic buttermilk pancakes a funfetti makeover that’ll make you flip, and the recipe comes together in less than 15 minutes. If you want to add a dash of flair as you prep them, try Kate Spade’s “All in Good Taste” 3-piece set, which includes a pink silicone spatula and molds for creating pretty heart and flower shapes. Breakfast never looked so stylish!
Strawberry Sprinkle Funfetti Pancakes
1 ½ cups fat-free buttermilk
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
5 to 6 strawberries, sliced
Rainbow sprinkles (as many as you’d like)
1. Mix together the buttermilk, egg and butter in a small bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. Make a small hole or well in your flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Mix well until everything is combined.
3. Heat a pan over medium to low heat and spray it with cooking spray. Once it is hot, scoop 1/2 cup of batter into the pan. (Pour less batter if you are making mini pancakes.)
4. As soon as the batter is in the pan, quickly add 3 to 4 strawberries (sliced) on each pancake and lightly press each one into the batter. For a smaller pancake, use 1 to 2 strawberries. Then add as many sprinkles as you’d like.
5. Let the pancake cook for approximately 2 minutes (or until golden brown) before flipping. Cook the other side for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Note: If using the Kate Spade set, spray each mold before pouring in the mix. To make sure the pancake is cooked and won’t lose its shape, cover the mold with a lid for a few seconds. When the edges begin to pull away from the mold, the pancake is ready to flip. You can pop it out of the mold and flip it or use the spatula to hold it together and flip it.
Buy It! Kate Spade 3-Piece Pancake Set, $25; katespade.com
— Johnni Macke