Courtesy Alex Guarnaschelli; Kevin L/Food Network
Alex Guarnaschelli is an Iron Chef, Food Network celebrity chef, author of Old-School Comfort Food and the executive chef at New York City’s Butter restaurants. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Tuesday to get her professional cooking tips, family-favorite recipes and personal stories of working in front of the camera and behind the kitchen doors. Follow her on Twitter at @guarnaschelli.
Photo Courtesy Feeding America
This simple, classic potato recipe will quickly become part of your dinner repertoire.
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Created by Curtis Stone for Feeding America’s 5-Ingredient Dinner Challenge
8 medium russet potatoes (about 6 ounces each), peeled
⅓ cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves, skin on
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Place rack to lowest position in oven then place heavy large baking sheet on rack and preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each piece in half crosswise and on a sharp bias. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with oil, garlic, and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
3. Using oven mitts, remove hot baking sheet from oven and arrange potatoes cut side down and in single layer on baking sheet, scraping all of oil mixture over potatoes.
4. Return pan to lowest rack in oven and roast potatoes until they are crisp and dark golden brown, turning as needed, about 55 minutes.
5. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Galdones Photography/FOOD & WINE
Spending a weekend in the mountains with so many of our favorite chefs? We couldn’t have asked for a better time or more inventive food and cocktails at the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen. And thanks to Instagram, you can relive the weekend along with us.
From Top Chef Masters‘ Curtis Stone to Everyday Italian‘s Giada De Laurentiis, a slew of TV-famous cooks have been extra busy lately as they prepare to take their food off-screen — and become new restauranteurs.
Courtesy Rachael Ray
You know what’s even more satisfying than midnight snacking once the kids are asleep? Finding a way to make that meal help people who may go hungry this year.